How to increase democracy at the University of Amsterdam?
Commissie Democratisering en decentralisering
What is the goal of the project?
After student protests the University of Amsterdam decided to review its decision processes. A commission was implemented to conduct research on the University's administration and to suggest reform proposals.
What is the result of the project?
The Commission Decentralize & Democracy formulated five propositions:
- The establishment of a broadly composed deliberative forum (Senaat Nieuwe Stijl)
- The drafting of a charter with UvA's core values
- Three models for administrative reforms
- A proposal for the decision process, implementation, and evaluation
- A few improvements that can be made on short term
Read the complete report:
(English summary): https://www.dropbox.com/s/zj7hphtc6p4dovy/20161023%20Summary%20final%20report.docx?dl=0
What is the next step?
The commission Democratisering & Decentralisering has finished its assignment and has been granted discharge. The real work has started and many are involved. The new website ‘Democratisering en Hervorming’ will inform anybody who is interested:
What can other cities learn from your project?
A perspective for change; acceptance by the academic community