‘Consumers at the centre of the circular economy and the upcoming plastics strategy’.
This event will take place on Wednesday 31 May at the Silken Berlaymont Hotel in Brussels and will be kindly co-hosted by the European Retail Round Table, EuroCommerce and the European Commission.
Greening the retail sector and all the associated jobs can be a powerful driver of the transition to a Circular Economy. To achieve this Europe also needs to empower its consumers, giving them the opportunity to lead the transformation in their choices. A particular attention should also be set on rethinking how we use plastics in relation to design, reuse and recycling. Progressive retailers’ direct relationship with consumers, along with their innovative efforts in contributing to the establishment of a Circular Economy and a new plastics strategy are therefore key drivers in this process.
Join this high-level event gathering experts from business, civil society, the EU institutions and Retailers’ Environmental Action Programme (REAP) signatories to discuss further how best to engage consumers in the circular economy and the better management of the plastic value chain.
Consumers at the centre of the Circular Economy and the upcoming plastics strategy
Registration (10:00 – 10:30)
Opening (10:30 – 10:35)
· Susanne Czech, Director-General, European Retail Round Table (ERRT)
Keynote speeches (10:35 – 11:00)
· Adina-Ioana Vălean MEP, Environment Committee Chair, European Parliament
· Adela Torres Calatayud, Environment Committee Chair, EuroCommerce
Understanding the consumers role in the Circular Economy (11:00 – 12.15)
Introduction: Erik Hedén, Founder of Sustainability Index
· Mieke Vercaeren, Advisor Public Affairs, Colruyt
· Sylvia Maurer, Director Sustainability and Safety Department, BEUC
· An De Schryver, European Commission, Environmental Footprint (PEF/OEF)
· Sylvie Ludain, European Commission, EU Ecolabel
Moderator: Richard Wilson, European Regional Sustainability Manager, IKEA Group; Retail Forum Co-Chair
Networking Lunch (12:15 - 13:00)
Status on implementation of Retailers’ Commitment to the Circular Economy (13:00 – 13:15)
· Sébastien Paquot, European Commission
Innovation and adaptation to the Circular Economy with specific focus on plastics (13:15 – 14.30)
Introduction: Dr. Michiel De Smet, Ellen Macarthur Foundation
· Retail Representative
· Fernando Ventura, Head of Efficiency & Innovation Environmental Projects, Jerónimo Martins
· Werner Bosmans, European Commission, Plastic Strategy
· Christine Levêque, Director of Business Innovation BU Benelux and Germany, Suez
- Moderator: Kestutis Sadauskas, Director of Green Economy, European Commission; Retail Forum Co-Chair
Summary of the day (14:30 – 14:40)
· Richard Wilson, European Regional Sustainability Manager, IKEA Group; Retail Forum Co-Chair
· Kestutis Sadauskas, Director of Green Economy, European Commission; Retail Forum Co-Chair
Closing keynote speech and discussion (14:40 – 15:00)
· Vice President Jyrki Katainen, European Commission