Amsterdam is a gem full of useful data about the city which helps fuel innovation. Innovative data applications give us all kinds of new options such as to better services and the City Street Patrol, and for locals to participate in the society. These improvements are made possible by sharing as much data as possible, through one single portal with anyone who wants to use this data. That single portal is called City Data.
As the city of Amsterdam we gather a lot of data about the city. Data about public space, buildings and plots of land, traffic, healthcare, the environment, liveability, permits, subsidies, and many other data collection types.
All of this (open) data is now available through one data portal: City Data. It contains big data collections, like the basic records, which include all addresses of Amsterdam, topographical data, cadastral data and much more. City Data also contains smaller collections, such as hits during World War Two (which comes in handy for construction sites), or the number of dwellings in certain districts or neighbourhoods.
You can easily search for all this data and have it shown in a map, download it as a data set, or link it automatically to your own system via a so-called ‘web service’ or API. City Data does not only contain the City of Amsterdam’s data but that of other parties as well. Everyone can and may offer data sets.
Amsterdam City Data is openly accessible through the internet and data that is public can be freely used by anyone. Some of the data is available for authorised city employees only.
What can you use City Data for?
- Go to https://data.amsterdam.nl/ (Dutch only) to discover what you can do in this portal. You will find instructions about the options and about how to use the portal. Or watch this (Dutch spoken) video with a short explanation about the portal’s functions.
- Would you like to order a data set? Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
For those who want to know more:
- Check: https://amsterdamsmartcity.com/projects/dataamsterdamnl
- Read more about Amsterdam City Data and non-public data (https://www.amsterdam.nl/bestuur-organisatie/organisatie/overige/stad-vol-data/english/non-public-data-city/?reload=true).
- Read more about Amsterdam City Data’s work method: open source, scrum/agile and maintenance and development by the principles of DevOps (https://www.amsterdam.nl/bestuur-organisatie/organisatie/overige/stad-vol-data/english/about-city-data-work/?reload=true).
- Want to know more about data and the City of Amsterdam? You can find more information about our policy, collaborations, inspiring examples of applications, and press information on amsterdam.nl/data.