My name is Dillion Asher, and I am an American student pursuing my masters degree in International Development at the University of Pittsburgh. I am reaching out to Amsterdam Smart City's network in an effort to identity internship opportunities in sustainable development for an overseas student like myself. As my future goal is to attain an internship in the Netherlands (and to relocate for permanent employment upon graduation), I am collecting information on local career opportunities in sustainability. Some of the questions I hope to answer through my inquiries include:
- Are internship/employment opportunities generally available to non-EU students/foreign nationals?
- Which NGOs, companies, or public institutions might I communicate with to discuss a potential internship, or even a collaborative research partnership while in school?
- What types of knowledge, skills, training, or experience might be recommended or desired for a student interested in a career in sustainable development?
- Are there any university courses or degree programs in the Netherlands that are particularly valued for skill development and training with respect to sustainable development?
- What are the biggest future challenges to urban planning and sustainability work in the Netherlands?
If there are any individuals out there in Amsterdam Smart City's network who may be in a position to offer guidance, advice, or perhaps a referral to other sources of information, I would be most grateful for the assistance to my search! Please feel free to comment, and to reach out with any questions you may have about my interests, goals, future plans, and ongoing studies at the University of Pittsburgh.
About me: https://www.linkedin.com/in/james-dillion-asher-51032019. My primary interests lie in sustainable urban development and in energy and resource efficiency. I am seeking out NGOs, public institutions, and private companies in the Netherlands currently working in these areas.